November - 2017
  01 02 03 04 05
06 07 08 09 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30  

Health insurance

All international students must purchase a FULL insurance in their home country before entering Hungary, for the WHOLE period of the summer school.

Residents of the European Union, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein and Switzerland

All international students MUST obtain a full insurance in their home country, that is valid in Hungary for the whole period of the Corvinus Summer School. Such health care applies to:

– treatment which is deemed necessary on medical grounds

– treatment provided during the temporary stay in Hungary

– treatment which takes into account the nature of the benefits required and the expected length of stay

Medical treatment, which becomes necessary during the patient’s temporary stay in Hungary, is free of charge. In cases of doubt the health care provider shall decide whether the needed treatment is medically necessary during the expected duration of the stay in Hungary. However, by virtue of the decisions of the European Commission (2004/481/EC and 2004/482/EC), all treatments are deemed necessary in case of dialysis, oxygen therapy, pregnancy and childbirth. For obtaining treatment under the same conditions as Hungarian insured persons, a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or the Provisional Replacement Certificate (PRC) must be submitted to the health care provider.

How to use the European Health Insurance Card in Hungary

Documentation required: students need both the European Health Insurance Card and a passport or ID card.


Students can only obtain treatment from surgeries which have a sign saying they are contracted with the National Health Insurance Fund. The inscription is generally as follows: “a társadalombiztosítás egészségügyi szolgáltatásaira szerződött szolgáltató”. If students require medically necessary treatment, they are advised to see a general practitioner (GP – “háziorvos”) first. The GP decides whether further specialised out or inpatient treatment is necessary and will issue a referral. The specialised outpatient care, typically available at outpatient centres (“szakrendelő”), is rendered generally upon referral. However, students may seek outpatient care without a referral if the treatment relates to dermatology, gynaecology, urology, otolaryngology, ophthalmology, oncology or general surgery.


Where dental treatment is necessary, the following services are available at dentists contracted with the National Health Insurance Fund (OEP):

– emergency care

– on the basis of a specialist’s referral, and treatment related to any basic dental or oral diseases

– tooth preserving treatments

– dental surgery treatment

– gums diseases

It should be noted that the costs of materials are generally borne by the patients.


Where a doctor or dentist issues a prescription, it should be taken to a pharmacy and submitted along with the EHIC. Subsidies on medicines can vary according to disease and type of product. The subsidy is provided directly to the pharmacy, so the amount you will have to pay when purchasing the prescribed medicine is a “co-payment” and therefore it is not refundable.

Hospital Treatment

Hospital treatment is normally provided through a referral from a GP. In urgent cases no referral is necessary. A co-payment of 30 per cent, but maximum HUF 100.000 is due:

– when obtaining hospital treatment without a referral from a primary health care provider,

– when using a health care provider other than the one specified in the referral by the prescribing doctor or

– if you chose to be treated by a doctor who is not on duty at the time of the treatment

For extra services (better room, meal, etc.) additional charges are applied by hospitals.


Private charges for seeing a doctor or dentist and co-payment for hospital services and pharmaceuticals are not refundable. (It should be noted that most dentists advertising themselves are not contracted for the services of the Hungarian health insurance; if dentists are contracted to provide health insurance services, they only provide emergency dental treatment and possibly tooth fillings). If students are treated privately in a hospital, none of the charges are refundable.

EHIC in General

The European Health Insurance Card is required for each occurance of treatment. It must be submitted to the physician treating you, or at the patient’s registration desk in hospitals or outpatient medical centres.

Absence of EHIC

If the insured person cannot produce an EHIC while seeking necessary health care in Hungary, the health care provider can accept a retroactively issued Provisional Replacement Certificate (PRC) as well. The PRC must be submitted by the patient or forwarded via fax at the latest within 15 days following the treatment. If a PRC cannot be produced in due time, the health care provider shall charge a fee for the treatment and issues an invoice. A refund of the invoiced amount is not possible in Hungary; however, the patient can apply for a reimbursement according to Hungarian tariffs from his/her competent health insurance institution after returning home.

Planned Treatment

If the EEA or Swiss resident wishes to receive planned medical treatment in Hungary at the expenses of his/her competent health insurance institution, or enters Hungary with the purpose of getting health care, a prior authorisation is required. The competent institution certifies its consent on Form E 112. This form has to be submitted to the health care provider in order to receive treatment under the same conditions as Hungarian insured persons. An EHIC is not acceptable in such circumstances.

Students insured in Croatia

Students insured in Croatia, as well as their dependent family members are entitled to urgent medical treatment during their stay in Hungary under the same conditions as Hungarian insured persons. Urgent or immediate medical  treatments can be sought by submitting a HR/HU 111 certificate. This form is issued on request by the competent regional office (podrucni ured) of the Croatian Health Insurance Institution (HZZO).

Health care on basis of bilateral agreements

Citizens of the following States can receive health care for immediate medical treatment; a passport is the only document required to verify entitlement for such treatment:

Angola, Cuba, Iraq, Jordan, Kosovo, Kuwait, Macedonia (Former Yugoslav Republic of), Mongolia, North Korea (Peoples’ Democratic Republic of Korea),  Serbia, Montenegro, Russia, Ukraine and other States of the Commonwealth of Independent States (Содружества Независимых Государств).

Residents of other countries

Citizens and/or residents of countries which are not part of the European Economic Area and which don’t have bilateral agreements with Hungary on the provision of health care, have to pay full price for health care services rendered in Hungary. According to Hungarian legislation, the health care provider is basically free to set the fee; therefore the Hungarian National Health Insurance has no influence on the amount of fee charged. However, in order to avoid discrimination, it is important that the health care provider applies consequently the same fee for same service. For this purpose, most health care providers have established price lists that can be consulted before the treatment.

Last modified: 2017.04.04.